Who We Are, What We Do, and How We Do It
We are a team of academics and data scientists working to provide an objective, non-gameable influence-based ranking for the people, schools, and disciplinary programs that make up higher education. To that end, we have engineered an innovative and unbiased ranking technology that employs machine learning to measure the impact of work produced by the world’s top academic influencers. Our InfluenceRanking™ engine brings to light the achievements of top institutions and top academics across the world.
AcademicInfluence.com is an incredibly rich and varied website, with many powerful features to help readers explore the world of higher education. To assist our readers in understanding all that we offer, and thus not to miss anything of value on this website, we’ve broken this about page into the following subpages. These subpages explain AcademicInfluence.com, giving a context and rationale for our enterprise:
- Our Team: Meet our core team as well as our academic advisory board.
- Methodology: Examine how and why we rank persons and institutions by influence.
- The InfluenceRanking™ Engine: Explore the nuts and bolts of our influence-ranking technology.
- Concentrated Influence™: Learn about the influence-based ranking metric that’s ideally suited for identifying academic excellence and thus for determining the schools and disciplinary programs at the undergraduate level that may rightly be regarded as “best.”
- The Ranking Metrics at AcademicInfluence.com: View an expanding catalog of the ranking metrics developed by and used at Academicinfluence.com.
- Explainer Videos: View these short videos, usually only about a minute in length, that explain key aspects of the AcademicInfluence.com website.
The pages above describe the nuts and bolts of AcademicInfluence.com and its approach to ranking persons, schools, and disciplinary programs by influence. These, properly speaking, are our “about pages.” What follows below are more specialized articles — white papers — that delve into deeper aspects of our work on academic influence, and which in turn call for further explanation and clarification.
- A New Philosophy of Academic Ranking: This white paper shows how existing ranking organizations use a fundamentally flawed multicriteria approach and contrasts it with our master criterion of academic influence as calculated through our InfluenceRanking engine.
- Interpreting Our Undergraduate Rankings of Best Colleges and Universities: This white papers examines an article titled “50 Best Colleges and Universities of 2021,” which is emblematic of our approach to ranking schools for the benefit of undergraduates using our concentrated influence metric.
Some High Points at AcademicInfluence.com ...
Because AcademicInfluence.com is such an ambitious site, we want to call attention to the following especially noteworthy offerings:
- The Custom College Rankings Tool: This is the most extensive ranking and filtering tool available on the Web for drilling down on the many different aspects of schools and degree programs.
- The College Strategist Tool: As you start to consider where to go to college, this quick and easy tool is remarkably insightful at bringing to light schools that should be on your radar, identifying your reach, target, and safety schools.
- The Search Schools Tool: This tool lets you look up colleges and universities worldwide, providing a snapshot of schools but also the opportunity to dig deeper into their influence profiles.
- The Search People Tool: This tool lets you look up notable academic people, providing a snapshot of their influence but also the opportunity to dig deeper into what makes them influential.
- Student Resources: Actionable information about admissions, degrees, financial aid, guidance, and test prep.
- Ranking Articles: A growing body or ranking articles about people, disciplinary programs, and institutions. The rankings in these articles are determined by our InfluenceRanking engine. The articles themselves then elaborate on the rankings, outlining the record of achievements that led to the high rankings.
- Interviews: Our growing body of insightful video interviews with some of the most influential academics (as gauged by our influence-ranking technology). In addition to spanning the full range of academic disciplines with these interviews, we also strive to keep them timely by interviewing new and upcoming talent!
- Inflection Magazine: Our online magazine that focuses on what makes higher education exciting, interesting, and valuable.